The OPC Foundation recommends the use of OPC Test Lab Certified Products!
What is Certification?
The OPC Foundation’s Certification and Compliance program exists to help members develop and provide high quality products that meet minimum operability requirements. OPC Certified products are:
- Compliant with the OPC specifications
- Interoperable with other OPC products from other vendors
- Robust, reliable and able to recover from lost communications, etc.
- Usable, by following universally accepted best-practices
- Efficient in managing resources (CPU, memory, disk space etc.)
The Certification program is under the jurisdiction of the Compliance Working Group, a working group of volunteers responsible for:
- The rules of the certification program
- Criteria and test-procedures that determine compliance
- Guidelines for the OPC Test Labs
- Continued development and refinement of test-cases and test-tools
What is Certifiable?
Any OPC UA Client or Server can be certified by a Test Lab. These products may be software based (running on Windows, Linux, etc.) or hardware based (in PLCs, or embedded controllers, etc.).
Software Development Kits (SDKs) or “toolkits” cannot be certified directly because, by design, they require the developer (customer) to implement code that is responsible for the address-space, acquisition and handling of data and events, security, and more.
Reference implementations (Sample Clients and/or Sample Servers) shipped with the SDK are tested and Certified in a Lab. Applications developed with an SDK that has a certified reference implementation stand a much higher chance of certification, but require their own certification testing in order to become officially certified products.
The Certification Program’s Value Proposition
Certified products have been tested in an independent OPC Test Lab and have met or exceeded the requirements described above. The benefits of using Certified Products include:
- Faster configuration and start-up with fewer support calls
- Proven reliability and interoperability
- Minimal integration risks and an investment in quality that your production system can rely on
Certification Testing Costs
OPC Certification Testing is a premium service available to OPC Foundation members and logo members:
- Corporate Members: US$950 per day
- Logo-members: US$1900 per day
Testing typically requires 5 days to test a Client or Server. More time may be needed for larger systems that support multiple interfaces.
The Certification Logo
Products that have successfully completed certification testing are awarded the Certification logo.
Vendors that earn the right to display the logo must abide by a specific Logo License Agreement.
- What happened to free testing?
The program was retired to facilitate growth in demand by opening more labs, and to supplement those additional costs.
- Am I required to pay even if I’m already scheduled?
No, if your testing was already booked as part of the free testing then the OPC Foundation Certification Test Lab will honor that agreement.
- Which takes longer to test, Clients or Servers?
It really depends on the functionality supported by the product, and is true for clients and servers. Generally, clients will take longer to test because much more manual testing is required.
- What if my product is a Client and Server, or supports UA and Classic?
More time will be required for testing additional interfaces. Please contact us to discuss in more detail and we can provide an estimate.
For more information…
For an online catalog of OPC certified products, see the Certified Products page.
To learn more about the OPC Certification Program and Compliance, contact the Director of Compliance.
Click here to get started with Certification.