Opc ua stack + Visual Studio 2003 - .net 4.5|OPC UA Implementation: Stacks, Tools, and Samples|Forum|OPC Foundation

Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Opc ua stack + Visual Studio 2003 - .net 4.5
Shaun Hennessy
Members
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
07/27/2021 - 05:42
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi I'm trying to find a sdk that is compatible with visual studio 2003 and .net 4.5.

I'm using the following:

Opc.Ua.Core

Opc.Ua.Configuration

Opc.Ua.Client

I have the sdk for .net 4.6.1 and have that working with visual studio 2019 and .net 4.6.1.

I can't find a way to back port this to .net 4.5/vs 2003 or find previous versions. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Randy Armstrong
Admin
Forum Posts: 1445
07/27/2021 - 07:09
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you program in .NET you need to migrate VS as quickly as you can. MS does not support new framework versions in old VS versions.

I have been on projects where the C++ code is built with a much older version of VS than the C# code for this reason.

Shaun Hennessy
Members
07/27/2021 - 09:56
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Randy Armstrong said
If you program in .NET you need to migrate VS as quickly as you can. MS does not support new framework versions in old VS versions.

I have been on projects where the C++ code is built with a much older version of VS than the C# code for this reason.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately that does not help me.

My development environment is set. I'm stuck with VS2003 and .net 4.5 for an older version of our software.

We have development virtual machines for all historical environments that our code was developed in so I need a sdk for .net 4.5 and vs 2003.

I want to introduce an OPC ua implementation in an older version of our software. I can't find a compatible opc ua foundation sdk at the moment. I belivee there have been sdks for vs 2003 in the past. I can't find any downloads for this.

Randy Armstrong
Admin
07/27/2021 - 12:54
sp_Permalink sp_Print

VS2003 is nearly 20 years old.

It is equivalent to asking for Windows XP support.

If you are willing to install a new NET SDK on your legacy VMs then you can install the build tools.

I recommend you look at using .NET Core because it supports Linux and a stripped down build environment that does not need VS at all.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-.....ol-install

Shaun Hennessy
Members
07/27/2021 - 14:32
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll give up on getting vs 2003 support. I knew it was a long shot, just hoping there was an older sdk that I could use. The older development environment is there mainly for the C++ language requirements. There is a large legacy codebase that is sensitive to updates to the C language changes.

Getting a sdk that can target .net 4.5 is also something that would be useful. I believe the current one targets .net 4.6.1 or netstandard 2.0. Is there a previous version that targets 4.5? or the net standard equivalent? I know it is old technology, but this project will be installed on old and fixed evnironments and only .net 4.5 is available. Any existing sdk I can use will save me a lot of work. I'm not expecting mircales, just checking my options before proceeding. Apologies for the strange requests!

Randy Armstrong
Admin
07/27/2021 - 15:29
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a large legacy codebase that is sensitive to updates to the C language changes.

You do not need to build the C# code with the same VS version as the C code. I have worked on projects with multiple VS versions.

Getting a sdk that can target .net 4.5 is also something that would be useful.

Unified Automation offers 4.5.2 support with VS2015 projects. .NET standard is .NET 4.6.1 or later. 

https://www.unified-automation.....r-sdk.html

You can't get .NET4.5.0 support because .NET 4.5.0 has known unpatched security vulnerabilities. The OPC-F has deliberately removed all older versions .NET code specifically because of the security issues. Other vendors will have the same position.

Shaun Hennessy
Members
07/28/2021 - 01:32
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Randy Armstrong said

There is a large legacy codebase that is sensitive to updates to the C language changes.

You do not need to build the C# code with the same VS version as the C code. I have worked on projects with multiple VS versions.

Getting a sdk that can target .net 4.5 is also something that would be useful.

Unified Automation offers 4.5.2 support with VS2015 projects. .NET standard is .NET 4.6.1 or later. 

https://www.unified-automation.....r-sdk.html

You can't get .NET4.5.0 support because .NET 4.5.0 has known unpatched security vulnerabilities. The OPC-F has deliberately removed all older versions .NET code specifically because of the security issues. Other vendors will have the same position.

Thanks for the information that clears up my questions. That's really useful thanks.

Forum Timezone: America/Phoenix
Most Users Ever Online: 510
Currently Online: Adam Bennett, Siyuan Xu
Guest(s) 23
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Forum Stats:
Groups: 2
Forums: 10
Topics: 1347